Miami will once again be featured on national television. No, it’s not going to be a show filled with beach bodies or the latest celebrities, but rather the Travel Channel is hunting for the city’s worst driver for the latest episode of America’s Worst Driver where four contestants will attempt to navigate their way through the city. Although I’ve never seen an episode, I just might have to tune into this feature on Miami.
America’s Worst Driver, Miami airs on Sunday, April 4 on the Travel Channel at 10:00 p.m. EST.
For a city that is as well known for it’s road rage as for it’s beaches, being a tourist on the streets of Miami can be quite the feat so the Travel Channel has come up with a list of driving tips for surviving our raging drivers.
1. Be on the lookout for aggressive and unpredictable drivers. Running red lights, cutting off other and failing to yield the right away is the norm for many of the local drivers.
2. Think of Miami as a grid — northeast, northwest, southeast and southwest. The dividing lines are Flagler Street and Miami Avenue. Streets go east/west and Avenues go north/south.
3. To determine the cross street for your final destination, drop off the last 2 digits from the address and you’ll have the corresponding cross street. If you are trying to get to 15416 SW 152nd St from the intersection of Flagler and Miami Ave, you will travel 152 blocks south and 154 blocks west.
4. HOV lanes are poorly marked, so don’t be surprised if you end up in one by mistake.
5. One way streets – be on the lookout, because they are all over — the downtown area especially.
6. Be aware of Florida’s Move Over Act, which requires you to move over to the next lane or slow down to at least 20 miles below the speed limit, when approaching an emergency vehicle that is stopped on the interstate or other highway.
What driving tips do you have for visitors hitting the streets of Miami?
Photo Credit: Viernest @ flickr
Hope you are hungry, because this year’s options for Easter will have you calling for more. From Nicaraguan Rock Lobster Tail to a Tortilla Espanola, this year’s line-up has something for everyone, even a cookie decorating station for the kids.
From Solo at Fontainebleau Miami Beach
March 30th, 2010 | klynch | Read More | Comments: 1
Filed under: Easter, miami
If you’re trying to up your culinary skills, forget those 1-hour classes that you randomly drop into. It’s time for boot camp – culinary style, and this one will be as good as it gets. That’s the only way The Biltmore works. Lourdes Castro, author of Simply Mexican and Eat, Drink,...
March 12th, 2010 | klynch | Read More | Comments: 0
Filed under: cooking schools, featuredarticle, miami, restaurant
Get ready — as this week is filled with delicious eats, beautiful orchids and unlimited champagne. Here are our picks for the week.
Celebrate National Pi Day with a slice of Key Lime Pie at Morton's
Wednesday, March 10:
Hakkasan has been getting a lot of buzz lately with their dim sum menu,...
March 10th, 2010 | klynch | Read More | Comments: 0
Filed under: Art, miami, Restaurants, wine
I think twitter has made SUGARCANE Raw Bar Grill the “it” place to go. All of this talk about their Whole Roasted Chicken with Truffled Fingerling Potatoes and Mushrooms had me drooling before I ever walked into the restaurant. I can just see the hordes of people making their way there now,...
February 10th, 2010 | klynch | Read More | Comments: 0
Filed under: miami, Restaurants, sugarcane raw bar grill, sushisambe, top-feature
Experience everything Italian at this year’s VinItaly. Taking place at multiple locations in South Florida, VinItaly US Tour Miami and Palm Beach will highlight some of the best Italian wines of the region. In addition to being able to sample wine from over 100 wineries, guests will be able to...
February 5th, 2010 | klynch | Read More | Comments: 0
Filed under: fontainebleau, miami, vinitaly, wine
Pizza, wine and beer are the focus this week, as we pick some of our favorite events for upcoming days ahead.
Fig & Prosciutto Flat Bread at Wild Olives
January 28-30 — Latin American Vinofest. Delray Beach will be home to the best of Latin wines during this weekend’s Vinofest. On Thursday...
January 27th, 2010 | klynch | Read More | Comments: 0
Filed under: craft beer, Delray Beach, escopazzo, miami, pizzatweetup, vinofest
Boxes of chocolate are so yesterday. For Valentine’s Day this year, it’s time to impress your partner with a culinary excursion that is sexy, exotic and will transport you into an epicurean fantasy. We have some picks for you that are sure to wow your partner.
Nothing says romance like a...
January 25th, 2010 | klynch | Read More | Comments: 0
Filed under: featuredarticle, Four Seasons, miami, ritz-carlton, romance, the setai, valentine's day