11 Tried-and-True Budget Travel Tips
There are many people out there who want to travel. Of those people, many want to save as much money as possible while seeing the world. I consider myself one of those people, and have found all of these tips to be money-saving firsthand!
- Pack light to save on or even completely avoid luggage fees.
- Look into round trip tickets even if you are going one way. Sometimes they are actually cheaper.
- Travel to places where your currency is worth more.
- Check for discounts – age, student, free attractions
- Be flexible with travel days. I’ve found it’s usually cheaper to fly on Thursdays and Tuesdays.
- Walk whenever possible. Not only is it good exercise, but you’ll save money in transportation costs.
- Check out the grocery store. I love going into grocery stores in other countries to see the kinds of brands and foods they carry. You can also pick up some food to cook a couple meals for yourself, or for some travel snacks.
- Be sure to compare train prices and plane tickets for traveling from country to country. It might be more cost-effective to buy an overnight train ticket instead of a plane ticket.
- Look for coupons on the internet or in brochures in the hotel – deals on car rentals, tours, and even free gifts can be found!
- Eat big lunches instead of big dinners. Lunch is usually cheaper.
- If you are traveling to two countries, try to plan a layover in the second country. I’ve been able to explore another country simply because it wasn’t anymore expensive to stay for a couple days than to just have a few hours’ layover.
For more tips, check out my article, 5 Easy Ways to Save Money While Traveling!
Photo Credit: alancleaver_2000 on FlickrTags: featuredarticle, travel tips