Filed under: Arts and Entertainment, culture
Celebrate May with Burlesque, Bhangra and Mariachi
In the way of unique entertainment, there’s some interesting happenings in Vancouver over the next week.¬† Burlesque, Bhangra and Mariachi will provide provocative comedy acts, lively dance and folkloric music that is guaranteed to entertain.
MARIACHI MUSIC & FOLKLORIC DANCE¬† May 4 – 9
Experience the sweet, vivid sounds of mariachi at the 3rd Canada International Mariachi Festival, to May 9 in various cities and locations in BC.
- ¬†Mariachi Gala, Friday May 7 at the Chan Centre , UBC, 6265 Crescent Rd.¬†(map) Five Mariachi bands from Mexico, US and Canada, folkloric dance groups and singers entertain with guitars, violins, bass¬†to trumpets and summon up the spirit of Mexico.
BURLESQUE AND COMEDY May 6 – 9
The Vancouver International Burlesque Festival, will be¬† held at the Rickshaw Theatre, 254 E. Hastings Street
- Thursday, May 6th,¬† opening night, at midnight, come see Miss Jenny Magenta’s Banquet of Broads with spectacular aerialists, sensual pole dancers and guest performers.¬†¬† This opening night headliner welcomes NYC sultry Miss Amber Ray.
- Friday May 7 th, 10 pm will feature a night of Nymphs and Nursery Rhymes with the Rosebud Burlesque Club from Saskatoon, Sask.
- Saturday, May 8th, 11pm, Victoria’s Cheesecake Burlesque Review brings their award winning show with laughs, teases and seductions, with influences form cult classics to Broadway favorites.¬† NYC East Village meets East Van at Kitty Nights.
- Sunday May 9th, 9 pm features outrageous guest performers from NYC and Kitty Nights West’s astounding Burgundy Brixx as well as other local Kitty Nights performers.
There’s lots more to see with several shows each night.¬† There will also be Burlesque Festival Workshops offering lessons in Fan Dancing, Samba Cabaret Club, Tassels and Spinners and more.¬† See the website for details, times and advance ticket sales.
BHANGRA DANCE & MUSIC to May 8
Vancouver International Bhangra Celebration VIBC 2010 City of Bhangra presents a festival of lively Indian music and dance complete with colourful costumes, and performers from California, India, Surrey, Calgary, Abbotsford and NYC.¬†
¬†Bhangra dance originated in the Punjab region of Indian and Pakistan back in the 14th-15th centuries. It was a harvest dance when farmers would celebrate a great crop by dancing. It’s still a big part of the India culture, performed by young and old.¬†
- Highlights of the week-long event include a free outdoor concert at the Georgia Street Plaza, Georgia and Howe Sts.(map) (May 7),
- Performances by international act Delhi2Dublin at the Commodore Ballroom (map) (May 7)
- The sixth annual Coast Capital Bhangra Competitions (May featuring¬†eight of North America and India’s top dance teams
Tickets at Ticketmaster.
PHOTO by W. Ruth Kozak