DC Flamenco Festival Dances into Town
The 10th Annual DC Flamenco Festival returns to Washington, DC with five unique performances from some of Spain’s leading flamenco artists.Â
Master musicians, vocalists and traditional and contemporary dancers share the stage while demonstrating the passion, elegance and exhilaration of Spainâ€™s national dance – flamenco.Â Â
This year’s festival features not only established performers but a few newer flamenco dancers exploding onto the flamenco scene, including the sensuous Pastora GalvĂˇn, a dancer who easily shifts form classic and modern flamenco dance styles, and 21 year old BelĂ©n LĂłpez who is one of the most passionate and roots driven upcoming stars of flamenco and the almost lost art of Spanish classical dance.
Dates & Times - February 9-23, 2010 â€“ all shows at 8:00 p.m.
The scheduled lineup includes:
- February 9, 2010 – Gala Flamenca with the sensuous dancer Pastora GalvĂˇn, classic technical master Manuel LiĂ±Ăˇn, sensation-creating BelĂ©n LĂłpez and the fiery soloist RocĂo Molina.
- February 11 â€“ Seville-born MarĂa PagĂ©s, known for her endless arms and charismatic stage presence, brings her 15-member dance troupe that won the Giraldillo Prize for Best Show at Sevilleâ€™s 2008 Bienal de Flamenco.Â
- February 14 â€“ Major flamenco star Rocio Molina will be dancing with three
other dancers, along with a singer and musicians playing guitar, percussion and palmas.
- February 21 – Marina Heredia sings along with music that originated in the courts of Spainâ€™s during its Golden Age.
- February 23 – Israel GalvĂˇn, a revolutionary traditionalist known for his incredible footwork has won Spain’s National Dance Prize, performs a show that strips flamenco to its bare essence.
Tickets - $35.00 – $65.00 and are available online, at the Lisner Box Office or by phone at 301-808-6900.
Parking – Limited metered street parking and area paid garage parking is available.
Images â€“ courtesy of DC Flamenco Festival and GW Lisner Auditorium.